Ship design: atmospheric flight

Contribute models, textures, concepts and sounds here.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Ship design: atmospheric flight

Post by nicolasc » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:04 pm

Hi all,

Just a few thoughts:
Basic Question: Where does our "shooter" play? Only in space, or is atmospheric flight an option? Choosing the latter case, I think it would be better to add some wings to the design, and if it's just for the sake of physics, unless you want to ignore that part completely or do the flying at ballistic speeds...
I am under the impression that hover propulsion was not yet available to humans.

Skimming through the models yet implemented, if pretty much liked the terran_fighters (all models, #4 the most)... the terran_corvette might also be acceptable (speaking of wings).
I prefer the edgy design over round one.
The human (military) design was always trimmed more on effectiveness, than on beauty.

cheers
nico

PS. sorry for the chaotic post, I hope you get what I mean.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:54 pm

Jah, I see what you mean.

We decided to concentrate on space flights only, but later we want to fly from space to the atmosphere to the ground and up again.
The problems are the physics we haven't implemented yet and we haven't really thought about how we wanna design that whole concept of flying in and out of the atmosphere.

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:43 am

beni wrote:The problems are the physics we haven't implemented yet and we haven't really thought about how we wanna design that whole concept of flying in and out of the atmosphere.
That *solves* the physics problem for now.

But we should - in general - design stuff that can be used even if the specs change. Keep a far view while drafting...

cheers
nico

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:13 am

Correct, I agree completely. In our Universe, we will have ships who will be able to fly in space and in the atmosphere and some who will only fly in space or the atmosphere.
That the physical outline of this ships has to follow some physical laws is clear and should be thought of. And we don't have that much of atmospheric fighters. That's true and there should be a ticket to be solved about that. Make one ;-)

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:08 pm