Content repository

Contribute models, textures, concepts and sounds here.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Re: Content repository

Post by x3n » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:20 am

I don't think that would make much sense. If we re-use textures, models contain only the default textures, but we could change them in the game for different fractions.

Another point: Maybe we need an additional subfolder in images for billboards and particles? They don't really fit into the others. We could just call it "billboards" because thats also true for particles. Maybe someone else knows a better name though.
Fabian 'x3n' Landau, Orxonox developer

BadElvis
Human Space Navy Lord Commander

Post by BadElvis » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:57 am

i also like retos structure. creating one directory per model seems to go against the idea of content re-use. with slight adjustments:

Code: Select all

data
  audio
    music
    sounds
  fonts
  images
    bumpmaps (?)
    decals (?)
    effects (for billboards and particles)
    overlays
    skyboxes
    textures
  materials
  models
  programs

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by 1337 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:25 pm

I like that, already applied it.

Though please explain to me: What counts as decal? Are all these texture files that contain the texture of an entire ship also called decals?

There's also lots of images I haven't been able to classify. So far I've only moved those images I was very sure they belong in that folder.
Here's a picture of the unclassified ones:
Attachments
images.png
images.png (276.63 KiB) Viewed 17555 times
http://www.xkcd.com/
A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.

Mozork
Mogthorgar, the mighty

Post by Mozork » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:46 pm

I just moved
3arrowsup.png
arrow.png
asterix.png
cross.png
eye.png
shield.png
sphere.png
to effects, since they're billboards used for the pickups.

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by 1337 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:37 pm

I've got one more issue: fonts.

Fonts are placed both in data/fonts and data/gui/fonts. These directories contain both *.ttf files (actual true type fonts) and text files that make up the font you refer to in Ogre (*.fontdef) or CEGUI (*.font).
I thought I could merge all these files into one folder (data/fonts), but keeping the CEGUI stuff separate is probably a good idea.
So, how do we share the *.tff among Ogre and CEGUI but at the same time have separate textual descriptions? For images the task is easy: there are images and materials. But for fonts I couldn't find an analogon to 'materials'.

Any ideas?

greenman
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by greenman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:49 pm

i really got the pool and the data folder confused ...

what about putting meshes and blender files into one folder together with a model description file containing "links" to the material and texture files thus leaving textures and materials in a separate folder?!
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by 1337 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:54 pm

I like the ideas of links, but I suppose it's never going to work because that list will always be outdated and incomplete anyway.
(btw. we don't have any blender files in the data folder, just meshes)

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:52 pm

1337 wrote:There's also lots of images I haven't been able to classify. So far I've only moved those images I was very sure they belong in that folder.
Here's a picture of the unclassified ones:
Flares and atmosphere rings belong to effects (as they're used for billboards).

Another note: I wouldn't use a separate directory for bumpmaps. I'd rather place them together with the texture, but write "bumpmap" in the filename. Two reasons for this:
- If you want to modify a texture, you also have to modify the bumpmap, so it makes sense to keep them close
- We may use different shaders than bumpmaps, for example normalmaps, cubemaps, reflectionmaps, lightmaps, etc.

Maybe we find a better format for textures in the future (for example *.dds which also allows mipmaps) that contain all layers of a texture.
Fabian 'x3n' Landau, Orxonox developer

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by 1337 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:08 pm

I've moved some more files. That's what remains at the moment:
Attachments
images.png
images.png (271.65 KiB) Viewed 17548 times

greenman
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by greenman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:20 am

1337 wrote:I like the ideas of links, but I suppose it's never going to work because that list will always be outdated and incomplete anyway.
(btw. we don't have any blender files in the data folder, just meshes)

i don't think that these links will be quickly outdated: once you export a model you don't change it often anymore, do you?
also: it would be great if we could gather all the blender files as the source for our models (most of them should be in the artists folder) and put them together with the meshes or at least mention them in this link file. that would make it much easier to change them if needed.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by 1337 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:23 am

Of course we need the original files. But they should not be in the official data repository. Rather in the one we discussed earlier in this thread.

greenman
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by greenman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:40 pm

that's what i mean ^^
i would also put this linking file only into the pool and not the data_extern directory

i think we have to clarify the different names for these folders:
- when talking about the data pool i mean the directory which contains all content that was once created by us or our pps students
- when talking about the data_extern directory i mean the one that gets checked out in order to play/run orxonox

hope this is clear now ;)

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by 1337 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:42 pm

k, data extern and data pool works for me ;)

Mozork
Mogthorgar, the mighty

Post by Mozork » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:28 pm

Just to summarize the ideas for the data/pool and to make things a little more concrete and move them along..
  • Use game/data/pool as path
  • Same directory structure as existing data repository
  • For models one directory per model, with current state, old states, .blend files and screenshot of the model
  • File with used/referenced material files, textures, ... belonging to a model in its directory
  • AUTHORS file per directory (like CMakeLists)
Which leaves the following points:
  • I think audio is already sufficiently structured, we could add source files there, too, if we have them.
  • What about images? One directory per image pack? E.g. I think the 6 pictures of a skybox could be grouped. Also there we can add the .xcf or .ps files. Do we need an info file for these as well?
  • How should we call the file with the references? info.txt? It could also (optionally) include more information about the model, but we should have some defined structure. Another Idea: Make it in XML, then we could actually at some point take advantage of that in some kind of web-interface.
While we're at it we should perhaps also discuss some naming convention for further additions to our data repositories and then be consequent in enforcing it. And also think about a consistent naming convention for old states of files...

greenman
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by greenman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:44 am

Mozork wrote:What about images? One directory per image pack? E.g. I think the 6 pictures of a skybox could be grouped. Also there we can add the .xcf or .ps files. Do we need an info file for these as well?
I would suggest to build up a tree-structure with maybe 3 or 4 levels (e.g. {billboard,texture,...} , {metal, rock, ...} , {texture names})
as we already discussed in msn we could try to use symbolic links to link files which are used in multiple textures
Mozork wrote: While we're at it we should perhaps also discuss some naming convention for further additions to our data repositories and then be consequent in enforcing it. And also think about a consistent naming convention for old states of files...
I would use the same naming convention as we/you did with level files. That would be consistent and I think CamelCase looks better than having a lot of underscores in file names ...