Noxonian Weapons

Contribute models, textures, concepts and sounds here.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Noxonian Weapons

Post by nicolasc » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:32 pm

As I am responsible for design of weapons for both sides, I opened this thread for collecting some ideas for noxonian weapons.
  • lightning gun: like in q3a, or that this species 8472 has, but more bolt-like than beam-like
  • Acid splash: Zerg like acid weapon
  • Spore blob: see above, but with spores
  • Spikes thrower: nail gun like thingy from Doom (?), resp. Hydraliscs from Starcraft
  • Orx-missile: [if that thing is still up-to-date]nasty area damage missile
looking for more...

cheers
nico
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

bensch
Admiral Alexi Sarkhov

Post by bensch » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:11 pm

I think, the weapons should look as organic as possible, such as the weapons from Prey http://www.prey.com.

The weapons there are half organic half metallic, it is a very cool mix, and the noxons would match the species (i think :) ).
Also the weapons can be integrated fully into the ships or the persons, as some noxons might be fighter drones :) (@beni: please correct me if this is not the case...)

Weapons may in this case be parts of animals that produce a toxic waste, or weapons might throw alien animals that explode on impact (maybe they are filled with gas or any other acid).

But most importantly, the weapons must look dirty, slimy and ugly. You (human) do not want to touch them, unless you have to...

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:51 pm

So cool, I didn't dare to tell you there is even more work and now you just found it out yourselves :D.

I like your ideas, but the Orx-Rocket isn't up to date. The new version should be online since a while.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:36 pm

The weapons there are half organic half metallic, it is a very cool mix, and the noxons would match the species
Semi-Organic weaponry... nice.
I like your ideas, but the Orx-Rocket isn't up to date. The new version should be online since a while.
hmm... I knew, I read it somewhere, but I am unable to find ATM.

Anyway, I created a Noxon Weapon Page on the wiki, an uploaded a first draft for a noxonian (orx) missile

cheers
nico

PS. Yuk
But most importantly, the weapons must look dirty, slimy and ugly. You (human) do not want to touch them, unless you have to...
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:48 pm

I like the idea of the spores very much: this would enable us to add lots of objects heading for the player. This will definitely add some drama!

lieni
Noxonian Reg'metholt

Post by lieni » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:05 pm

My opinion is also that the noxon weapons should be very alien like, that means green, slime and a lot of splash :)
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:10 am

I made a first draft of annoxionian acid splasher (the projectile I mean...)

I do have some ideas.. but I think I need to work more with sprites/planar projetions that with models...

bensch
Admiral Alexi Sarkhov

Post by bensch » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:56 am

This looks great

I think this can be implemented using some kind of a particle system, because particles can already be rendered with a very fast sprite algorithm.
Maybe you take a peek at the file sprite_particles.cc to see how this works...

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:59 pm

Looking forward to see this in the game :D

To add more dynamics to this weapon look, you could oscillate the size of the weapon image (billboard) with a certain frequency. This would then look more like fluid.

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:11 pm

Hmm... I was thinking of something this alike, but really sure how to do it...

I take the billboard into advisement.

Nowic
Thanathon, God of the lower Planes

Post by Nowic » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:01 pm

Inspiration: I modeled a sketch for a noxon drone... an idea i had some time ago. The big part is the front, so it moves from the right to the left side. It tries to grab and eat you! ;) Of course it should be more randomised to look more organic...

"I've always lived cheaply. I live like a student, basically. And I like that because it means that money is not telling me what to do. I can do what I think is important for me to do. It freed me to do what seemed worth doing." -- Richard Stallman

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:06 am

Don't think its cool how rockets, weapons and spaceships become noxonian when you just make the back to the front? :D
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

Nowic
Thanathon, God of the lower Planes

Post by Nowic » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:32 am

Of course it works! :P
No, it shouldn`t look like a reversed human weapon, but there is no need for aerodynamic shapes in space... so we should use more unconventional shapes for their weapons.
"I've always lived cheaply. I live like a student, basically. And I like that because it means that money is not telling me what to do. I can do what I think is important for me to do. It freed me to do what seemed worth doing." -- Richard Stallman

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:25 pm

Nowic wrote:Inspiration: I modeled a sketch for a noxon drone... an idea i had some time ago. The big part is the front, so it moves from the right to the left side. It tries to grab and eat you! Wink Of course it should be more randomised to look more organic...
hmm... Zerg Terror?? Those tiny kamikaze drones...

To be honest, I think I get the feeling of how you want the noxons look like...
No, it shouldn`t look like a reversed human weapon, but there is no need for aerodynamic shapes in space...
And are, if they decide to enter the atmosphere??
Alright, we stick to the space combat part for the time being

cheers
nico

hofzge
Roshliikhh, lower servant to the Deities

Post by hofzge » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:31 pm

How about some kind of strange mental power, which is able to bend or rupture metal. this would make human life a lot shorter... muahaha

If you plan on doing spike or thorn weapons they could work as impact weapons, which are flung at high speed and can puncture shields or as missiles which are high mass-medium velocity impulse carrying weapons intended at shaking whole human ships (I didn't think about how they would be launched... You'd need a HUGE mothership... god forbid!!)

As already mentioned above corrosive acid weapons always belong with aliens 8)

Besides that: How about some weapon which can cut through a ship (some kind of scimitar or scythe).

That's all which comes to my mind for now.
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
-- William Gibson, Neuromancer