Character and Weapon Systems

Introduce your project and write about your work.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

Marc
Human Space Navy Major

Character and Weapon Systems

Post by Marc » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:48 am

Current State:

What we have implemented:

- Basic Attributes
- Part of the methods to update and handle those attributes.
- Basic Part of the weapon system handling on the ship (needed, as we need 2 weapon managers, not 1)
- Connection of Ship attributes to weapon systems (with the needed extensions to the weapon manager)
- Energy share system for weapon

We are doing this implementation based on the SpaceShip class, which we will use as base class for all ships.

On our wiki, we have added some basic concept sketches for the blaster weapons to give the ship creators some idea of them.

What we need to implement:

- Energy share for shield and movement
Last edited by Marc on Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:45 am

Gratz to you two! Looks very good. You can think about modeling a weapon body too (not only the barrel).

keep it going :D

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:16 pm

patrick wrote:You can think about modeling a weapon body too (not only the barrel).
Looking into it... but we are waiting for the input from the ship design team.

Nowic
Thanathon, God of the lower Planes

Post by Nowic » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:57 pm

Yeah, that's an important point. You have to create weapon meshes that can be placed on very different ship models or even a space station. Only scaling of your weapon model is possible. And maybe different textures for different ships, if you have time to do that.
"I've always lived cheaply. I live like a student, basically. And I like that because it means that money is not telling me what to do. I can do what I think is important for me to do. It freed me to do what seemed worth doing." -- Richard Stallman

Marc
Human Space Navy Major

Post by Marc » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:24 pm

For the only ship sketch we have been presented so far, the weapons do not need a body.
Currently I'm not even sure, that this will be needed.
The weapon most likely will be "integrated" into the ship, not somewhere unrealistically attached to it (like the hyperblaster in the hover - water reflection level which makes it look like a ballista ^^)

What we agreed with the model creators last wednesday was that our weapons will attach to the ship through a quad.
Depending on the ship this perhaps means some extension externally (I'm thinking here mainly of special weapons that are attached at the bottom like some missile launcher or mine dropper), but if possible, the weapons will be "in ship".

The purpose of our early sketches is mainly for the modelers to give them some idea of how we think that the weapons will look like generally, as they asked us for them to help them think of their ship designs.

PS: Would it perhaps be possible to discuss dev journal things in own threads. It won't help the others on the project reading our journals if they are filled with talks instead of "dev diary" :)

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:37 am

Have you thought about the weapon sounds? It just came to my mind that the weapons should definitely have good sound effects. A cool laser or energy impulse sound or whatever.
Also rockets and unique explosion sounds would be nice. I don't really know if that should also be done by you guys, but someone has to do it.

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:11 pm

I fully agree, that a cosy sound is needed. Although I like to participate as much as possible, I have to think of my studies (I can't speak for Marc). So I wont take that part too.

Main problem is, that we a basically redesigning the whole gameplay, which take a lot of time.

cheers
nico
Last edited by nicolasc on Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

Marc
Human Space Navy Major

Post by Marc » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:14 pm

The amount of time I can spend on Orxonox is quite restricted as well (study, girlfriend, compensating the financial situation caused by stipendium), my knowledge in the sound sector is even more restricted ( ~0 ), so if the sounds are not present yet, I fear I won't be able to create them.
Luckily I've a game media collection I built up during the last years so perhaps I've some sound effects that could be used.

For the moment, the whole "media factor" has low priority to me as good looking things won't help to have anything playable. It would just look cool and be another tech demo.

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:58 pm

I understand this completely. Let's start our search online and hope we find something...

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:07 am

I completely see your point and it is actually our fault we didn't think of that earlier. As I said in my first post about that issue: It's probably not something you have to do as well and because everyone of us is a student as well, we completely understand that you cannot sacrifice all your time for Orxonox . Especially Lieni and me, who just finished your year of the studies and Nowic who visits the same lectures as you guys do should understand your situation. Patrick doesn't know the new system, but he's a student as well and knows the amount of time the studies take.

Now then, We have to find a solution, but I don't wanna abuse this thread any longer for that.

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:49 pm

Maybe this link is interesting:

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/

I hope the license is ok for our purposes (nowic?)

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:02 pm

Depends on the effective CC license, but it's basically compatible. (CC is a collection of licenses. For further information, check out this)

CC and GPL have the same goal. And GPLv3 should become a direct derivative from CC.

cheers
nico
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:48 pm

Added a wikipage for human weapons. uploaded some draft/screenshots from blender.

all models are available in my trunk.

[note to myself: link models directly]

cheers
nico

hofzge
Roshliikhh, lower servant to the Deities

Post by hofzge » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:21 pm

Of the two blaster models I like the one with the asymmetric barrel more, as it looks a bit more weird and dangerous. I must say, I really like all of the weapon models!

As the blasters are wall-mounted the ship designers now know how to design a mount point (e.g. a flat face facing forward i.e. in the directin of movement).
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
-- William Gibson, Neuromancer

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:53 pm

We rediscussed the wall mounting problem... as Nowic proposed, we drop the square, and try to keep the base as small as possible...

Journal:
I implemented the electronics, or I should say the incontrollable effects they have, once damaged.
Created a few new models...

cheers
nico