Bugs on newest Ubuntu with newest Libraries

Found a bug? Report it here.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

Post Reply
User avatar
beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:15 am
Location: Zurich
Contact:

Bugs on newest Ubuntu with newest Libraries

Post by beni » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:03 am

As I'm an update freak I wanted to try Orxonox with the new Ubuntu 9.10 with the newest libraries that were in its repositories.
This includes tcl-8.5 and libboost1.40-x with r6116 of the trunk.

First: I didn't hear any sound effects or music. Not sure why this is, maybe I have something misconfigured here.
Second: CEGUI was behaving strange, as my mouse pointer was actually the one from Ubuntu and not the one from CEGUI. This also lead to an offset of where the mouse pointed to and where it looked like it was pointing to. Choosing a level was difficult as it chose the level above the one I intended to click on.
Third: When I wanted to add bots to the game and have fun the font of the console seemed to be behind of the noise effect that we have on the console. That resulted in nearly unreadable console commands.
Fourth: By hitting ESC during the game the game froze instead of exiting. That is unfortunate. I had to kill the application from another screen (Alt + Tab + F1, login, killall orxonox, exit, Alt + Tab + F7).

As all those errors are not critical and maybe not even bugs, they do come when using the newest libraries, so it would be nice if we would make an effort to make it work with those.

I have by the way a freshly installed Ubuntu, so the chance that I have a fucked up system is very low. Please let me know if you need more information or if I should test something.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

User avatar
x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
Posts: 810
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Bugs on newest Ubuntu with newest Libraries

Post by x3n » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:05 pm

I can't really help you there, but I want to link this topic also here.
Seems therer are a lot of problems with the newest ubuntu :(
Fabian 'x3n' Landau, Orxonox developer

User avatar
1337
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
Posts: 521
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:59 am

Re: Bugs on newest Ubuntu with newest Libraries

Post by 1337 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:16 pm

@first: This is due to the fact that for the PPS sound project we moved the ambient audio files to audio/ambient/default. This is very unfortunate and I apologise for not realising that it required a data branch for this project (the moving came quite suddenly because of a new idea).

@second:
I've already heard oft that problem. It is actually the intension to show the OS cursor and not CEGUI's (because on Windows, you cannot just hide the cursor when in non exclusive mode (which is what we use for the main menu now)). Unfortunately there is an offset on linux and we're already working on a solution. The same problem occurs on Windows if you resize the windows (there's not chance of hitting the right button then...).

@third:
Oli has experienced the same problem and we've found out that the z-order should be correct and that all other systems don't exhibit that problem. This seems to be related to Ogre v1.6, though I cannot tell why.

@fourth:
Afaik this has something to do with the first problem. But here I cannot even tell why (Oli may know more since he's got the same trouble).
http://www.xkcd.com/
A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.

User avatar
beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:15 am
Location: Zurich
Contact:

Re: Bugs on newest Ubuntu with newest Libraries

Post by beni » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:30 pm

1337 wrote:@first: This is due to the fact that for the PPS sound project we moved the ambient audio files to audio/ambient/default. This is very unfortunate and I apologise for not realising that it required a data branch for this project (the moving came quite suddenly because of a new idea).
Ah yes, I see. No problem there then. It is unfortunate, but I guess it is still okay. The trunk should be working, which it does, but a bit better would be nice. Happens to the best of us.
1337 wrote:@second:
I've already heard oft that problem. It is actually the intension to show the OS cursor and not CEGUI's (because on Windows, you cannot just hide the cursor when in non exclusive mode (which is what we use for the main menu now)). Unfortunately there is an offset on linux and we're already working on a solution. The same problem occurs on Windows if you resize the windows (there's not chance of hitting the right button then...).
Same problem then, there seems to be an initial resizing of the window under Ubuntu which introduces the offset. It's also okay to show the OS cursor in I guess.
1337 wrote:@third:
Oli has experienced the same problem and we've found out that the z-order should be correct and that all other systems don't exhibit that problem. This seems to be related to Ogre v1.6, though I cannot tell why.
Argh, that's an annoying bug. Seems we cannot do much, though. File it under known bugs then I see if we can find a solution in the future.
1337 wrote:@fourth:
Afaik this has something to do with the first problem. But here I cannot even tell why (Oli may know more since he's got the same trouble).
Yes, the last message in the console is the reporting of a missing sound file. Seems you're right with that connection there.

Alright, seems you are already aware of all the bugs. :D I'm happy, it means it is well maintained. Good work ;-).
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

User avatar
1337
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
Posts: 521
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:59 am

Re: Bugs on newest Ubuntu with newest Libraries

Post by 1337 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:52 pm

but it doesn't make it work though...
http://www.xkcd.com/
A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests